I went out with some friends for brunch at the weekend, and had the most delicious tofu scramble... I was truly inspired, so I decided to create my own version.
- 1 block firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (other oil would work too, I just prefer coconut oil for the health benefits & taste)
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 5 mini tomatoes
- 1 handful chopped spinach
- 4 small mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons vegan cheddar cheese (I use 'Daiya' cheddar style shreds)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon crushed fresh garlic
- freshly ground black pepper
- Press & drain the tofu between two plates to get most of the moisture out (it takes about 10 mins), crumble it into small cubes.
- Melt the coconut oil in a skillet. Add the onion & mushrooms.
- When they are a nice golden color (don't let them get too brown), add the garlic and reduce the heat.
- Add the spinach & tomato to the skillet first, and then the crumbled tofu.
- Sprinkle on the nutritional yeast and the freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir fry for 3-4 mins until the scramble is cooked through, sprinkle on the cheese (keeping the scramble on the heat until it melts) and serve. At the cafe, it was served with fresh fruit on the side.
- Enjoy foodies!