Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Great Gluten Free Vegan Sandwich Dilemma

Those of you that have visited my blog before will know I've been vegan for a while, (vegetarian for even longer), but after my diagnosis, and the doctor making me go gluten free things started to get complicated, particularly in the sandwich department!


Problem 1.... The bread!
Always read the nutritional info and check the ingredients when you buy bread at the market or grocery store, because just because the packet is advertised as vegan or gluten free doesn't necessarily mean its both (quite a few gluten free breads have egg in). But there are still plenty to choose from, corn tortillas and buckwheat or millet bread rocks! Or, why not forget the bread and make a wrap using collard greens or lettuce instead?! (it's lower carb too).


Problem 2.... The filling!
When I was first diagnosed, I found it so hard to find yummy fillings for sandwiches that were both vegan and gluten free, especially as most vegan meat substitutes are made with wheat gluten. So, I have to admit, Peanut butter and Jelly quickly became my go to option. But, however yummy, my trusty pb and j quickly got boring. So here are a few other sandwich ideas I've tried out...
  • Burger patty spread with hummus and salad (tastes good warm and cold). Amy's Kitchen do a great gluten free vegan 'Bistro' burger, their 'Sonoma' version is also v/g-f .
  • Roasted Mediterranean vegetables, (eggplant, zucchini, peppers, onion, mini tomatoes).
  • Soy cream cheese with mango or grape.
  • Mashed roasted butternut squash, garlic, sauteed red onion and black pepper.
  • For a variation on the classic PB and J, I love almond-nut butter, grilled banana, and my blackberry chia jelly.
  • Bean Chili with grated vegan cheese.
Or, of course, there is the best kind of sandwich.... THE ICE CREAM COOKIE SANDWICH!



No comments:

Post a Comment