I love, love, love pancakes, and these are so light & fluffy! They are sure to make you smile :)
Be warned, this recipe makes quite a large batch.... we like leftovers in our apartment! I always make more and wrap the extras up. Also if my lovely boyfriend comes over with his gorgeous new puppy, she always seems to get her tiny paws on a couple, so a few extra can come in very useful. They taste so good cold or popped in the toaster the next day. Pancake & almond butter sandwich anyone?
- 1 cup buckwheat flour (or groats processed into flour)
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 1 banana
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (to sweeten, agave nectar would work)
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond or soy milk
- 1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- extra blueberries, banana slices, & maple syrup to serve (optional)
- Preheat a large non stick skillet over a medium heat.
- In a a large bowl mix together the 3 flours and the baking powder until fully combined.
- Pour the milk, vanilla, and syrup into the bowl, and whisk the batter until smooth and lump free.
- Mash the banana with the applesauce, and then fold it into the pancake batter.
- Lightly grease the skillet (I used Earth Balance Spread), and then ladle in a dollop of batter (about 3 1/2 inch diameter).
- Sprinkle some blueberries on the top of the pancake. (I prefer adding the blueberries this way as it stops the pancakes turning overly purple, and it means you can make sure all the pancakes are loaded with blueberries. (A few months ago, I had a batch with one sad pancake containing only one lonely blueberry... my room mate wasn't too impressed, so she got some extra fake bacon to make up for it).
- Cook until bubbly on the top (slightly more bubbles than the pic), and then flip. Cooking the other side for a couple of mins, keeping peeking at it to check it's not browning too much. Golden brown is good, burnt is bad! These hold together surprisingly well for vegan, gluten free pancakes,but you still need to be gentle when flipping.
- Repeat until the rest of the batter has been used.
- Serve with extra blueberries & banana slices, and some warm male syrup drizzled on top. YUM :)
Feeling extra hungry, or wanting an extra special treat? Cook up a side of fake-bacon... it tates so yummy on top of the pancakes and all maple syrupy! Be sure to check the label though, quite alot of vegan meats contain wheat-gluten.
If you're looking for other brunch ideas, try my Berry French Toast. Can you believe french toast can be gluten free and vegan? It's yummy too (even if i do say so myself) ;)